Hello friends and welcome to my blog! This is where I will be documenting my various running activities that I participate in. My desire is to inspire you as you pursue your running goals.
For those of you that don’t know, I have taken running very seriously around August of last year. I was going though a difficult time and have turned to running as my therapy and stress reliever. Before that, the only time I would run was for my Air Force PT test, which I had to take every six months. Many times, I would try to cram training the month prior to testing. The following statistics will give you an idea on how serious I took running prior to August 2013:
- 2011: 83.1 miles, 15 hours and 57 minutes
- 2012: 96.9 miles, 16 hours and 53 minutes
- January – July 2013: 51.1 miles, 8 hours and 59 minutes
Here are some running stats from 2013:
- 354.7 miles
- 64 hours and 40 minutes
- 41,561 calories burned
- Passed my Air Force PT test 2x
- 5K PR time: 26:20 (My first 5K time was 32:29 which was May 2012)
- Participated in Eight 5Ks, One 4 Mile, and One 11K race
- Completed Run for God 5K Challenge
- Made some great friends in the various running groups I have joined
As you can see, i really kicked it in high gear starting in August. Before August 2013, I hated running. Now I go crazy when I don’t run..LOL. I feel better, healthier, and have less stress.
Here are some of my goals for 2014:
- Complete my first half marathon in April
- Run 650 miles
- Run the Macon Mud Run in March
- Participate in my first Triathlon in July
- Run at least one race per month (5K, 10K, 4 mile, etc)
- Improve my 5K PR time
- Place in the top 3 of my age group in at least 4 races
- And finally: Motivate and encourage my fellow runners
One of the greatest blessings I have encountered since I have started running on a regular basis was the many new friends I have made. The first running group I have joined was the Warner Robins Run Fit Sports Group. I happened to find out about them while I was scrolling through my Facebook news feed and saw a post that they were starting a Wednesday night group run. After that, I signed up for the Run For God 5K challenge in September. In addition to help improve my 5K time, I joined to network with other runners. In October, I joined the Macon Run Fits Sports Group run on Monday nights. I am thankful to have met some great friends that have encouraged and supported me.
While my friends have played a great part in encouraging me to succeed I have to give praise and glory to the Lord. Without Him, I wouldn’t have been able to to accomplish anything. Here are some scriptures I would like to share:
Hebrews 12:1-2 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Well that’s about it. I look forward to sharing my running journey with you in 2014. I hope it will encourage and inspire you!
Until next time, Troy